It’s a’s a plane…it’s a pilcrow

No, a pilcrow is not some rare exotic bird, it is the name for the symbol used to denote a new paragraph if you’re writing copy for a newspaper article or a manuscript.



According to, “The derivation of its name is as complex as its form. It originally comes from the Greek paragraphos (para, “beside” and graphein, “to write”), which led to the Old French paragraph, which evolved into pelagraphe and then pelagreffe. Somehow, the word transformed into the Middle English pylcrafte and eventually became the “pilcrow.”

Read more:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s